Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hummingbird fly away


How beautiful are these little creatures, so colorful, so fast in flight. It is always a sight to see as they zip about and chirp at each other and then hover beside a bloosom and drink the sweet nectar and then they are gone in a flash. How fragile are their nests and tiny little eggs. I really love hummingbirds and have seen so many in LA and the southwest so imagine my concern last night when I got home late from a cocktail party to find a hummer flying about in the front porch of our apartment and landing on the hanging lamp over and over again. My neighbor said he had been there for a couple days! Poor little guy he couldn't figure out how to fly down under the arch and get out. I couldn't let him die of starvation so I made him some snacks, just kidding, I went upstairs and grabbed a step stool and an umbrella with a vague plan in mind. My plan worked.. sort of. He tried to fly along the wall and finally dropped down on the ground. I went to pick him up and hoped that I didn't give him a heart attack. I walked down the steps with him in my hand as I stroked his soft little feathers and in a few moments he took to the air and flew straight up until he was out of sight. I felt like a Mom for a second as I helped my little one out into the world. sniff sniff, I will miss him. Now I am going to get a feeder so he can come back to visit and I can watch him in the window as I knit little sweaters for his family.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

You are too cute, Darcy!!! Knitting sweaters for humming birds! Oy! What will you think of next!!! Such a humanitarian!

10:58 AM  
Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Just call me Dr. Doolittle!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Deena said...

All good deeds are rewarded one way or another. I'll keep my fingers crossed it comes in cash form.

11:54 AM  
Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

You *held* a hummingbird?! That is so. . . phenomenal!!! I think that has got to bring some cosmic good luck to you. I love the little guys, but I can't even imagine holding one of them.

But it makes sense. You're very hummingbird-like. And I mean that in the best ways.

5:32 PM  
Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Yeah it was pretty wild looking into his eye while holding his little warm body, very cool

9:58 AM  
Blogger Travlingrrl said...

One flew into our house one day. I didn't want to try to grab him because I thought I'd give him a heart attack and knew I wouldn't be fast enough . And then he might fly to the top of high ceilings and I'd never get him. So I took out the screen from the big window and opened it all the way, quietly walked over to him, held out my finger and put it up to his chest, and he hopped onto my finger as I carefully walked over to the window and he flew away. Whew. That was a weird feeling those little feet on me.

BTW this is Jared's name because he has a blog too and he happened to be logged on.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home