Friday, April 21, 2006

Who Knew?


How cool is this! Ellen brought me a shiny bag and pencil (I love all things shiny) from
The Atomic Testing Museum in my little hometown of Las Vegas. Okay, not so little anymore and as much as I love visiting my family, I can't stand the place. It's hot and windy or it's cold and windy and there is nothing to do but drink, eat and shop, oh yeah and throw money away on gambling. You have to go miles to find any sort of nature and even the man made Lake Mead is being sucked dry. Sure it is a 24 hour city but I'm not convinced that is a good thing and can I tell you that Nevada is one of 3 states that doesn't require sex offenders to register and certainly doesn't share the info with the public. Now that is truly scary but I digress... When in sin city I often find myself looking for something new and iteresting and since everything is pretty new with all the old having been demolished, it is a good thing when a little of Vegas' past or dare I say "culture" is preserved for educational purposes. I bet (I'm so Vegas) there is a majority living in Vegas that haven't a clue that Mercury is still a functioning Test Site about 2 hours outside of the city. My father is a retired engineer from Mercury and my sister worked out there for years and still works for the government and I won't be surprised if one day they will both glow in the dark, okay too much sci-fi movies as a child but I also remember being fascinated with mercury as we would watch it roll around in the palm of our hands, yeah not good. Anywho, I can now add The Atomic Testing Museum to the short list of interesting things to do like the (haha) The Liberace Museum! So next time you are in Las Vegas and lose all your cash but still want something to do, go check out the Atomic Testing Museum, I hear it's the bomb..(sorry, blame the years of blazing heat on my brain)

2 Comments:

Blogger Deena said...

Hey,
Ask Ellen if the actual tour is any better than the virtual tour. If not, I just saved 10 bucks. Hee.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Deena and Darcy...actually being at the Museum and interacting with all the displays is waaaay better than just looking at the Museum's site online. There are tons o' displays, short films, timelines, equipment displays, etc. The giftshop is great too!

Ellen B.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home