Friday, April 07, 2006

Bees and CareRats


Yesterday was my short day to work and I went home to change into flip flops because it was so nice outside my toes wanted some air. My roommate came in from outside buzzing (hehe) about the huge bee hive across the street. I said maybe a queen landed and all her subjects were following her but he insisted it was a hive. I decided to check it out on my way to get the mail from the house I am sitting at. Yep, them there is some bees and they looked pretty cozy. I am not sure if that was a hive or not because I wasn’t going to shoo them away to check. I don’t think it is a hive due to the fact that I have lived across the street 10 years and I would’ve noticed as well as the neighbors surely would’ve seen it before and had it removed as they have children and my neighborhood is heavily trafficked with pedestrians with dogs so leaving a hive 2 feet off the ground and 3 feet from the sidewalk is not smart, which brings me to my next statement. My neighbor is not smart. As I was trying to take a good picture of the (possible) hive, there was a woman with a scowl on her face staring at me like I was standing here naked so I looked over at her and said “HELLO” and she just mumbled and stared so I said “It’s a camera” and she said “what are you doing,” duh woman “I’m taking a picture of the bees” I said, she continued to scowl and then said “you didn’t ask my permission” can you freakin’ believe that! So I said, “These are your bees, really?” of course she just mumbled and I took the picture and then I walked past her saying I have lived here 10 years and have never seen bees and then I closed it with, “Don’t get stung!” and she continued to mumble until I was gone. I can’t Beelieve her nerve, doesn’t she know you get more with honey than sour grapes and beetween you and me, what a Beeotch!!
Now about the Rat(s). With Spring and all the rain we have been having, the flora and fauna is outside in full force and if you live in my building, I’m thinking there is a critter making a home inside my wall but that is yet another story. This story is about my walk home from work on Wednesday just after the rain had stopped and the sun was slowly drying up the last couple days worth of water. I was almost to Santa Monica when I caught sight of a critter sitting in the middle of the sidewalk and as I approached it it just went about it’s business not even noticing I was there. I knelt down and checked it out and it was a baby rat and he was eating tiny little pieces of leaves in the crack of the sidewalk. Now I know how people feel about rats and I don’t especially like to see a rat running anywhere as they tend to do and I especially don’t want to be face to face with the giant New York subway rats as that is not a myth people, they are ginormous but I really don’t hate rats or mice or opossums. They don’t freak me out. As a kid I had a hamster (so cute and smart) as a pet and a mouse and I am the one who catches the spiders and puts them outside. I also tread carefully on my walks so I don’t squash snails and I have rescued plenty lost pets and strays. Apparently I also had this attitude as a small child and my mother had to pick me up and get me away from ant holes, hey I just wanted to play with them. I was often chasing butterflies and the fuzzy black caterpillars that turned into those alien looking locusts that would buzz hours on end in the summer but lets get back to the baby rat.
Baby rat was not hurt and he was not afraid, (possibly because I was wearing a faux fur vest that day) so I put my hand out and he just sniffed and looked at it like “are you my mommy?” so I didn’t want him to wander into the street and get squashed so I got him into my knitting bag so I could move him to a patch of ivy up the street but he was too quick and crawled back out of my bag and that was it. The hopes of getting him out of harm’s way were dashed and he was just imprinted with a fear of humans. He scooted his fuzzy self off behind a restaurant, which is probably where the rest of the litter lived anyway. Sorry little guy but that fear might keep you alive. The end…you can now close your mouth and go wash your hands.

3 Comments:

Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

hahaha Squeek squeek!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

ahh, I think it's sweet. As a kid I took in a whole litter of baby mice after my babysitter's husband accidentally squished the mama as he backed the tractor out of the shed (they lived on a farm). My mom wouldn't let me bring them inside so I insisted on sleeping with them in the garage. Unfortunately it was early spring and too cold in the garage and the poor little things died. I made a coffin out of a wood cigar box and buried them in the flower garden. Anything with fur is a friend in my book--it's people that I have issues with...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Bleah....Darcy! Remember that discolored mark on your almost-finished sweater you showed me on Saturday? Could it be a rat mark? Yech...stop touching those wild animals!!!

The bee hive photo is extremely cool!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home