Monday, January 30, 2006

GOOD EATS!












The long awaited feast commenced at my Uncle's up in Sunland / Tujunga and boy was it yummy! My Grandma was in town so what else could we do but put the woman to work in the kitchen, just to show our love for her. Hey, she lives to feed us and we wouldn't want to disappoint.
I went over early because we all love sopapillas and Gram doesn't roll anymore so as I hold the title of the best sopapilla/tortilla roller in the family, I was on it. The menu consisted of Pinto beans, red chili with pork, sopapillas and rice pudding for desert. New Mexican fare at it's finest. I also took my own container for some leftovers and that is exactly what I had for lunch today. I love my Gram!
We had a great time and my cousins, Jody and Steph came over and we all talked for hours and then and I cut J & S's hair. ( because I am also the favorite cousin! haha )
We did learn that the word sopapillas had been changed from something that sounded close to beignets (which are about the same fried doughnut-like bread) and there is also an American Indian word but we call their version Indian fry bread. All of which are tasty and in case you can't get Gram to make the real thing, I recommend the Gumbo Pot (also have a great Mardi Gras celebration) at Farmer's Market with some chicory coffee. Mmm Mmmm!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

MMM, looks good. I'm all for the fried dough--whether you call it Beignets, fry bread or funnel cakes!

I'm tagging you! Answer these questions, if you dare...

4 jobs you've had in your life (best to worst)

4 movies you could watch over and over

4 TV shows you love to watch

4 places you have lived

4 places you've been on vacation

4 websites you visit daily

4 of your favorite foods

4 places you'd rather be right now

4 bloggers you are tagging--no tagbacks!

2:58 AM  
Blogger amy said...

nice!!! looks like fun!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Deena said...

Red chile?! Where's the green?! Gimme the green!!!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home