Monday, January 09, 2006

Back in the UK

The weekend was glorious for being out and about so I took advantage of the lovely weather and hit the pavement as soon as I escaped the job on Friday. I had a hankerin for some Indian fare and just a few blocks from my flat is the India's Oven. They have great service, music and the food is great. Hey, Elmer Dill gave it a good review too. I loves me some naan but it is after all, bread. My favorite dish is the veg. korma, so creamy and perfect for dipping naan! I had some raita and biryani and aloo gobi along with a glass of red. I took half the meal home for lunch the next day. What I love the most is the fact that the kitchen is full of people that actually eat the food, yes Indians. I can't tell you how sad it is that many (most) restaurants are so cheap that they won't pay for authentic chefs when they can train any kid to make the food and still charge the patron for the "real thing" even though the dish is second rate at best. Great food is all about alchemy and a chef that never eats the stuff at home and certainly not when dining out can't possibly get it. But hey, I have also been to other countries and seen many an american hit the McDonalds when faced with having to try the native fare. I am guilty of ordering pizza and frites in Amsterdaam but that was beyond my control....heh, but I always try the regional cuisine too even if I can't pronounce it!
The weekend wouldn't be complete without one visit to Farmer's Market and a coffee and doughnut from BOB's. Forget Crispy Cream, Bob's rocks!
Sunday was the weekly meeting of the minds, Mark and Michele, George and Sarah and me. This week we were joined by M & M's neighbor, Cherry and we skipped our fave place with the cheap bloody mary's, mimosas and entertainment for uh, good food. We made the treck to Santa Monica for my favorite fish and chips (that's including all the places I have tried them in Great Britain!) at Ye Olde Kings Head on Santa Monica and 2nd Street. This place feels like a pub and has tons of pictures with the famous who dined and drank there to checkout. We even found one of Black Sabbath from 1974. Ozzy looks so young! I too have been eating my Queen size fish & chips there for around 16 years and take everyone who visits and gives me an excuse to go back for more! The employers and employees are mostly all expatriots from the UK as are many of the patrons. (Santa Monica has a large British community) I can't tell you enough how great the fish and chips are, you must just go, now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home