Friday, December 16, 2005

Some Hitstory

It was the late 80’s ,when big hair and spandex were still must haves, that I first was stolen from across Ventura Boulevard and the former home of Metal Blade Records to what was then the home of Hits Magazine and GSN. They seemed like a bunch of lunatics and I felt that I had stumbled onto my new home, okay the higher pay and bonuses helped too but what I didn’t expect was that I would become part of this dysfunctional family for years to come. I should’ve run the first day as receptionist, knowing I would have to yell and run laps around the building because the boss thought an intercom paging system was tacky (what the fug, yelling isn’t tacky?!) and learning of many temps who left at lunch never to return, but noooo I was (and apparently still am) the girl who picks jobs and men with the same reckless abandon, neither of which lives up to the promises. Sure I tried to quit Hits and each time they threw money at me so I stayed until I was loosing my mind. Dizzy from circling the building, I finally left…. only to be sucked back in at the new building down the street ! It was so perty and new and the pink hall was always there for those stressful moments. (many “meetings” were conducted in that hallway cough, cough) In ‘94 the building got tweaked in the Northridge earthquake as did many homes of our family but the magazine didn’t miss an issue. (yeah…) Freaked out, I left again for the desert only to return 2 years later to LA and where else could I work? I had no real skills and was just too damn dysfunctional for the corporate world. (What? Your company has no bagel day, free lunches from Jerry’s Deli or Posto? No free tickets and Cds or drunk club!) I am not the only one who had left and returned numerous times. There is Murphy, Bud and Roy holds the record…and is still there! (one of the 6 people haha) The mag might have evolved as the music industry has but they chose to remain the same and in the process lost much of the very heart and soul that made it unique, along with losing the respect (okay, fear) of the music industry that they once held in the palms of their greedy little hands. Dumb asses.
That being said, here is a little slide show from my camera of the Hits get together last week and some of the same players from days gone by. It was like Drunk Club all over again but we didn’t get kicked out of the bar, oh wait, we did get kicked out! Some things never change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home